Friday, August 14, 2015

What to Write: God Sightings

Several weeks ago Kayla shared some letter writing ideas on her blog and I loved the topic of "God sightings" - so that's my topic for this month.

I truly believe that we can see God in just about everything (except evil, of course) if we try.


Greetings from sunny, warm Oregon! We are in the middle of summer and it’s been a hot and dry one.

I love summer because of all the flowers that bloom in my garden and all the birds and butterflies that visit my backyard. Almost every day I see God through nature and it’s so comforting to me. Sometimes I grab my camera and try to capture the beauty in a photograph and other times I just stand still and watch intently to take it all in. 

One example that happened recently was when I didn’t have a very good day. Nothing about my day seemed to be going right and I really just wanted to go to bed and get the day behind me. As I was closing the window I looked out and noticed the sun was setting and lighting up the sky in the most beautiful, colorful way. I went outside and just enjoyed it, thanking God for the beauty He was filling the sky with.

A couple weeks ago we were in the mountains and there tend to be a lot of elk in the mountains. We looked and looked to see if we’d see any but didn’t. As we were driving back into town, I looked out the car window into a field and there were 7 male elk standing in the field. It was amazing that they were so close to us.

Sometimes the God sightings come in forms of smiles or hugs, and the best is when they are unexpected. This past Sunday I walked into church and another lady whom I don’t know very well had a huge smile and big hug for me. I felt loved and appreciated and it was just what I needed.

My challenge to you is to notice God in your surroundings and in the actions of others around you. And perhaps allow yourself to be a God sighting in someone else’s life. Give your friend a big smile or hug. Speak kindly to your family members and tell them you love them.

And when you experience your own God sighting, remember to thank God for it! I’d love it if you wrote back and gave me some examples of how you saw God around you. Here are some pictures of my recent God sightings. 

We love you and are praying for you – the Foley family


Have you written to your sponsored children lately? If so, what did you write about?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...