Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Colombian Rice Pudding

We recently received the "Step Into My Shoes" newsletters for some of our Compassion kids! I love these newsletters and the best thing is that all the information is available online (if you go into your Compassion account and view your kids' profiles, the links should be under your child's photo). Or you can just click here and find your way to your child's country.

I noticed that each newsletter contained a recipe and I thought that I would try to make some of them and have an "International Night" with my kids. Since the Rice Pudding looked easy, I thought I'd start with that. And I wanted to share our adventures with you! I am hoping that these posts will give you ideas for having your own night!

~~~

We made Rice Pudding from Colombia's Andean Region.


Since the recipe called for 1 pound of rice, and I didn't really want to make that much, I cut the recipe in half (approximately) and used the following amounts:

* 1 1/4 c. rice
* 2 c. water
* 2 c. milk
* 1/2 c. powdered milk
* 1 1/2 tsp. butter
* pinch of salt
* vanilla
* cinnamon stick
* 3/4 c. sugar
* raisins

I also used almond milk to cut down on the diary since Rosie, our one-year-old, is slightly intolerant to cow's milk. In order to allow Juanito, our three-year-old, to help, I popped Rosie on my back.


Juanito enjoyed helping stir…but let me warn you--if you don't stir constantly, it will burn on the bottom. We were clear of burning in the locations where he stirred but the rest of the bottom burned.


I ended up just scraping the top layer off and it was delicious.


Rosie loved it!


Juanito, or Captain America, preferred to just pick the raisins out…


We then talked about how our friends Valeria, Kenedy and Isabella are all from Colombia, the country where rice-pudding is eaten. We prayed for them and then colored pictures for them. (I wanted to be ambitious and print out coloring pages of the map and flag of Colombia and individualized coloring pages, but the printer was out of ink, so we resorted to Minnie and Mickey Mouse.) Juanito chose to color a picture for Valeria, Rosie chose Isabella, and I colored one for Kenedy.


My goal now is to write a letter online via our Compassion account and tell our Colombian kids about our Rice Pudding adventures!




About Hannah Hinojosa...Hannah is a long time Compassion sponsor and writes about her sponsorship journey at Because of Shamim. In addition to being a wife and mother, she is a part-time math professor and loves to read.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...