Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Step Into My Shoes: Week 3

Before I get into what Juanito and I did, I want to share that if you haven't watched the Step Into My Shoes videos, you really need to! One thing I appreciate about Compassion is that while sharing about the differences in our lives, and highlighting some difficulties in the lives of our Ugandan brothers and sisters, it is done respectfully. These videos don't point out the hardships of the lives of this family so we can feel sorry for them. The family highlighted doesn't feel sorry for themselves! They approach life full of joy in God and thankful for His blessings!

I so appreciate this perspective because while we do desire to help the poor because their lives are hard, that should never be the primary purpose. The primary purpose should be to share God's word with others! God doesn't promise easy lives, but He does want us to be good stewards of what we've been given. Anyway, I'll get back on track with what Juanito and I are doing, but I wanted to take a minute to share some thoughts.
~~~

Juanito wanted to start this week by reading our map again and talking about the family. We found the bike that was used by the Mama to get to the market and the water pump.


And then we read Matthew 6:9-13, but this time from his children's Bible! I don't know why I didn't think to look it up in there. This led to reading a few more Bible stories after! Next we sang Todo Lo Puedo en Cristo, or I Can Do All Things (from Steve Green's CD…it's in English and in Spanish).


Finally week we watched the Step 1b video, Find Food and Water!

Step 01b: Find Water and Food from Compassion International on Vimeo.

This movie really impacted me…I cannot imagine a two hour trip for water each day! Nor a one hour trip to a market that is only open twice a week. I was also hugely impacted by Mama Nancy's words. What a wise woman!

If you're reading about SIMS for the first time, you can check out what we did for Week 1 and Week 2!






About Hannah Hinojosa...Hannah is a long time Compassion sponsor and writes about her sponsorship journey at Because of Shamim. In addition to being a wife and mother, she is a part-time math professor and loves to read.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...