Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Correspondent Sponsors

When I first became a Compassion Advocate 3 years ago, we learned about being a Correspondent Sponsor. My daughter was 11 years old at the time and was excited about the possibility of writing to Compassion children in other countries.

Have you not heard about Compassion’s Correspondent Sponsor Program? I took time to interview my daughter, Kelsey, who is now 14 years old, to share a bit about her involvement as a Correspondent Sponsor:

1. Give me a simple explanation of what a correspondent sponsor is.

Kelsey: A correspondent sponsor is someone who writes letters to a sponsored child whose sponsor has decided to not write to the child. (Note from Yvonne: sometimes a corporation will sponsor a large number of children at one time and they turn over the letter writing responsibilities to people on the Correspondent Sponsor waiting list)


2. Tell me a little bit about your correspondent kids.

Kelsey: My correspondent children are very fun.  They have told me that they are glad to write and are doing very well where they are. My correspondent children are: Mamata and Kawllian from India, Alesi from Uganda, and Andres from Colombia. (Note from Yvonne: Kelsey also writes to her own sponsored child, Alfredo, in Mexico)



3. How often do you write to your correspondent kids?

Kelsey: Every time my correspondent kids write to me I write back


4. What do you love about being a correspondent sponsor?

Kelsey:  I love being a correspondent sponsor for the personal relationship with my kids. I love sending 
letters to them and asking questions and hearing about what they want to do when they grow up.


5. What would you say to encourage more people to become a correspondent sponsor? 

Kelsey: If you enjoy writing and/or writing letters this is the perfect thing for you to do. Or if you can’t afford to sponsor a child but would love to write. I have enjoyed writing letters to each of my kids for the past three years. I would definitely  wouldn’t give it up for the world. I would pray that if it is on your heart to do so, please do it. These kids get so much joy from hearing from someone that they don’t know. To know that I could be changing a child’s life in a small way through a letter is so encouraging. I pray for each of my kids every day in hopes that they might do the same for a child in need one day that is where they used to be.


So what do you think? Are you ready to be a Correspondent Sponsor? If so, call Compassion at the 800# (1-800-336-7676) during their regular business hours and they can put your name on the waiting list to become a Correspondent Sponsor.






About Yvonne Reynolds...Yvonne is very active when it comes to sponsorship and advocacy for Compassion. She maintains Compassion's Second Friday Letter Writing Pinterest board. Yvonne is a homeschooling mom who likes to read, bake and take photographs. You can find her blogging at Our Little Corner of the World.





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...