Wednesday, July 16, 2014

What to Write ~ Praise and Adoration

It seems that praise and adoration have been a recurring theme in my life the past couple months. It all started with the last "what to write" post when I wrote about prayer. You see, I ended up using the five finger method of praying as a springboard in my 4-5 year old Sunday school class. I realized that the concept of praise and adoration is not as easy to grasp as the concept of thanksgiving.

It was about the same time I was teaching my own girls and my Sunday school kids what praise is, that I discovered this instagram account and fell in love with the daily adoration posts.

(And then I was asked to be the featured photographer for the July adorations posts.)

I'm learning that praise and adoration is an art, and a wonderful way to soak in truths of who and what God is. It's a way to take a moment and tell God what we like about Him and his ways.

So this month, I'm writing about praise and adoration - specifically how God is using this to teach me more about Him.




Dear ......

How are you? We are doing well. 

Do you ever take time to think about who God is and praise Him for it? It's easy to thank God for what He does for us, but praising Him is a little bit harder to understand. Praising someone is telling that person what you like about him or her. 

For example, if you came to see me here's what I might say to you to praise you....

"Oh....it's so good to see you! I love to see the sparkle in your eyes and you always make me smile. You give me the best hugs and make me feel loved. I love how you always have a kind and encouraging word for me. You are so much fun to be around. You are a great friend and I know I can count on you."

That's very different than saying...."Thanks for coming and giving me a hug."

The Bible tells us so many things about God and we can take Scripture verses and turn them into praise. 

Here are a couple examples:


"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, 
to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

YOU ARE THE GOD WHO THINKS ABOUT ME



"Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ, by the commandment of God our Savior 
and the Lord Jesus Christ, our hope."
 1 Timothy 1:1

YOU ARE THE GOD WHO IS OUR HOPE



"This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24

YOU ARE THE GOD WHO GAVE ME TODAY

So what do you think? Can you give it a try? I've started making a list and I write down one praise to God each day. Sometimes it's based on a Scripture verse and other days it's just me telling God what I like about him. I've even praised God for bringing you into my life!

I look forward to receiving your next letter. Please give your family my greetings.


Have you written to your sponsored child yet this month? If so, I'd love to hear what you wrote about. 







Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...