Tuesday, July 2, 2013

What to Write ~ About My Country

Those of us here in North America are getting ready to celebrate our national holidays. With so much patriotism surrounding us, it seems like a good time to write a letter about the country in which we live.

I have sent maps of the United States to each of my kids before, but have never written much information about the country I call home.

I've included a sample letter and several links to printables you can include in your letter.

Dear Joseph,

How are you? I am so thankful to have this opportunity to write another letter to you. It is summer here in our country and during this season we celebrate the independence of our country. Our national holiday is July 4th and everywhere you look you see red, white and blue - the colors of our flag. 

My country is divided into 50 different states. Do you remember the map I sent to you to show you where we live? That map shows you the 50 states. Our flag has 50 stars on it to represent these 50 states.  

I thought I would share some interesting facts about my country with you.
Sports - Our popular sports include basketball, football, baseball and soccer.
Food - All American food includes hamburgers, hot dogs and french fries. We also like our soda (Coke).
People - Our country is made up of people from all over the world. There are very few native Americans compared to those who immigrated here and had descendants.
Cities - Our biggest cities include New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadelphia and our capital city is Washington, D. C.
Landscape - In our country we have rainforest, mountains, volcanoes, deserts, plains and coastline.
Agriculture - We grow many things in our country including apples, corn, wheat, cotton and hay.
Animals - Some of the animals native to our country include deer, black bear, raccoons, beavers, skunks and alligators.
I hope you enjoyed reading a little bit about my country. If you have any questions or want to know more about something, please ask me.

Until next time, Jill


Printable Maps:
There are so many printables out there - just use google and you'll likely find something you can use.

What are your thoughts? Let me know in the comments and HAPPY LETTER WRITING!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...