Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Water of Life ~ VBS Day 3

Just a quick picture of my Water of Life table...nothing fancy, but a visible reminder of what we are raising money for this week. Each day the display changes a little bit.



We have now raised enough money for 2 Water of Life filter systems. I hung water drops near the display table so the kids could see the fruits of their offering.


I started out my presentation with this short video....a shortened version of what I showed the first day.


And then we talked about what it would be like to have to carry our water. To have to walk to a source of water, collect the water and then carry it home.

The focus for the night - water is heavy. The nightly fact....1 gallon of water weighs approximately 8 pounds.


I had various capacities of water for the kids to try carrying across the room. I had a younger child carry 1 gallon across the room. A slightly older, bigger kid carry the 2.5 gallon container. And then a stronger, bigger  kid carried the 5 gallon bucket.


And when it was all said and done I invited all the kids to come up and feel the weight of the different volumes of water.


I challenged the kids to count the number of times they turn on a water faucet in the next 24 hours. They seem to enjoy the nightly challenges.

I also told them that tomorrow we'll be making dirty water for them to try. My daughters and I will be walking a mile to a nearby lake to get some water. Then we'll carry it home and eventually transport it to VBS where we'll pour it into our Water of Life system.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...